Chief Medical Officer, AbsoluteCare, Baltimore, MD
AbsoluteCare is actively seeking an experienced physician leader, board certified in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine for the role of Medical Director in a PCMH care setting in Baltimore, Maryland.
Reporting to the Chief Medical Officer, this role provides physician services including counseling patients regarding the most appropriate setting to meet their healthcare needs, performing physician assessments and evaluations of their problems, providing the appropriate information regarding specialist services, and end of life programs. Special attention is given to the PCMH model, evidence-based protocols and screening, and working as a collaborative team including case managers, social workers, psychologists, pharmacists, and nutritionists to educate and empower our patients to make correct healthy choices.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct the innovative program that partners with payers to deliver superb medical care utilizing a comprehensive “one stop shop” in a PCMH model.
- Responsible for the primary care of 125 patients maximum, with the assistance of your primary care team consisting of 2 case managers (RN’s) and a medical assistant.
- Focus on the management and improvement of health for patients with multiple chronic medical conditions.
- Able to work in a team environment (with social work, case management, behavioral health, pharmacy, nutrition, etc.), process feedback, and be open to discussing and implementing plans of care from other members of the team.
- Develop strong transitional care plans and able to help keep track of paneled patients along the whole continuum of care including discharges from the hospital, ED, skilled nursing facilities/nursing homes, and home care.
- Communicate and interact with alternate levels of care facilities (hospital, ED, skilled nursing facilities) in order to facilitate appropriate discharge to a lower level of care or back to the AbsoluteCARE Medical Center. Familiar with inpatient medicine and the discharge process in order to help facilitate discharges.
- Treatment of some acute exacerbations of chronic conditions within the AbsoluteCARE center, i.e. Lasix for CHF, IVF for Dehydration/Renal Failure, IV antibiotics for various infections, Nebulizer/Solumedrol for COPD/Asthma etc. Possess a comfort level and the knowledge to differentiate when exacerbation can be treated within AbsoluteCARE and when a higher level of care needed.
- Accept same day/next day or urgent appointments for patients from home or discharged from the hospital/ER/skilled nursing facility in need of intensified physician or case management/social work services to ensure acute episode has resolved and the patient is not admitted/readmitted.
- Vigilant in keeping track of patients and their disease processes in order to prevent ER visits, admissions to the hospital, and readmissions.
- Understand the PCMH model of care as pertains to specialist care, only utilizes this higher level of care as needed, and not a substitute for a well-trained primary care physician with evidence based clinical skills.
- Assist with educating patients regarding their chronic diseases and healthy choices.
- Assist with the education and discussion of chronic disease progression and the need for advanced directives.
- Practice evidenced based medicine and in accordance with the PCMH model of care.
- Able to keep track of and successfully obtain specified quality metric goals.
- Use technology and the electronic medical record to the highest capability in order to increase quality initiatives and efficiency within the medical center.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary meetings and recommends treatment alternatives designed to keep patients healthy or resolve on-going clinical issues.
- Perform other duties as required consistent with chronic care and disease management services provided to patients.
- Manage the Medical Staff and other AbsoluteCARE team members.
- Provide medical guidance to the Medical Staff.
- Review current medical practices and guidelines and implements best evidence-based practices.
- Implement strategic medical operations and protocols in order to achieve company’s contracted goals.
- Constantly evaluating the current medical operations and operations of the entire medical center to ensure compliance and contractual obligations.
- Maintain the security and privacy of all information that is owned by AbsoluteCARE or maintained on behalf of the company’s patients, employees, and business partners.
- Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
- This job description is subject to change at any time.
- Licensed physician in the state of practice.
- Board certified Internal Medicine or Family Practice.
- BLS certification required.
- Experience in population health management is preferred.
- Experience in working with psychosocially and medically complex patients is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge or experience with NCQA PCMH model is preferred.
- Must be able to work as part of a multidisciplinary team with constant collaboration within and across provider teams.
- Innovative and creative and innovative self-starter to help solve patient’s problems.
- Experience and comfort around maximizing EMR systems.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Effectively adapt and respond to a complex, fast-paced, and results-oriented environment.
- Knowledge and experience using Electronic Medical Records and ability to analyze and leverage their reporting capabilities.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel).
This job operates in a patient care setting where there is potential exposure to blood, bodily fluids, and infectious materials. This role routinely uses general office equipment. Often wear a special uniform, such as a lab coat or surgical scrubs, protective or safety attire, such as gloves and masks. High patient traffic, close quartered and shared workspace.
- Ability to communicate clearly and exchange accurate information constantly.
- Ability to remain stationary and/or stand for long periods of time.
- Constantly operates computer, keyboard, copy and fax machine, phone and other general office equipment.
Primary Care Physician, Infectious Disease Physician, Dietician, Health Educator,
For full consideration: A letter of interest and curriculum vitae should be directed to the executive search firm:
Jordan Search Consultants c/o Adam Rockey by email, [email protected]; by phone, 636.294.6085